Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Solar Tubes



Finished installing the solar tubes yesterday. Wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. They don't cover installing them in a flat roof with u-panels in the instructions. There is still a few more chances of rain this week for a leak test otherwise I'll go over everything with a garden hose before the insulation is installed.




As you can see this type of sky light allows in a lot of light. They are more efficient then "window" style sky lights since the surface area in contact with the outside is reduced. And hopefully this ends the questions about my lack of windows.


6 comments:

jim said...

super blog. good luck with the house.
been researching container homes.
i'm in the dfw area. any chance i can come by and take a look? if so, how do i reach you?

best,

jim

todd said...

Thanks, I think once I get back to the container house in a couple of months I could show it. The best way to find me is posting on here. I check it even when I don't have anything new to post.

jim said...

appreciate the offer todd. if you wouldn't mind me coming by sooner, that would be helpful. main thing i am interested in is seeing how the units butt up against each other and talk to you on how that plasma cutter worked (how much down time on it, ease of using it, especially for window cutouts).
reason is, i am thinking of starting on a smaller project in the very near future.
best,
jim

Gina said...

I do like the solar panels, but I still would have voted for a few more windows with that great view!

It is looking great. Quite amazing what all you have accomplished by yourself in a short time. Glad to see you in some of the pictures. We are missing Mom's videoing though. *smile*

todd said...

Jim,

You can email me at justtodd75@yahoo.com.

Todd

jim said...

thx todd.
just sent you an email.